Friday, April 5, 2013

Z Palette Review | Lipstick Palette DIY

Friday, April 5, 2013

Hello my gorgeous readers! Over the past few months I've been trying to find a streamline way to consolidate my freelance makeup kit. I wanted something that was going to be a little bit more travel friendly. The fact of the matter is I didn't want to have to downsize my kit, because the makeup I had I knew I needed. After spending hours online searching; I came across the Z Palette. I had heard about the company many times through YouTube, but I never took the time to galavant through their website. Once I did, I knew I HAD to buy one!

The creator Zena Shteysel is a makeup artist that has worked on several celebrity faces in Hollywood.  Knowing this not only makes it easy for me to respect her business, but made me quite eager to see what she had to offer. She created the Z Palette not only for makeup artists, but for women & men everywhere! If you are tired of traveling with big bulky makeup in your kit, or you just want to minimize your clutter at home, the Z Palette is the way to go!

What is a Z Palette?
-A Z Palette is a customizable palette that is sold empty so you can fill it up with whatever makeup your heart desires! The base of the palette itself is magnetic giving your products something to adhere to. My favorite part is the lid; I love that it has a clear window, making it extremely efficient while looking for a certain color in your kit.

The Z Palette comes in a variety of different sizes & colors, and they even have a "domed" palette which is perfect for MAC MSF'S or even your Milani baked blushes! I opted for the Black-Small Palette that retails for $14.00 USD on their website. 

I figured this palette would be the perfect size to fit some of the lipsticks I use in my freelance kit. Z Palette's are considered "ideal for home and portable for travel." They are made with eco-friendly materials as well as a sturdy plastic. I'm telling you it will keep your makeup (aka precious cargo) safe from harms way! Prices for Palettes will range anywhere between $14.00-$25.00 USD.

The Z Palette website also sells Empty Metal Pans in packs of 10-60. This will cost you anywhere between $4.00-$12.00 USD. These empty pans make it possible for you to customize your Z Palette literally any way you want! They are magnetized so they automatically stick to the base of your Z Palette. I chose a pack of 20 for $6.00 USD.

*If you are looking to use a Z Palette for your MAC eyeshadows or a product that has a non-magnetised base you will have to purchase the square or round metal stickers on the Z Palette website. The metal stickers come in a pack of 30 and will adhere to the base of your products. You have a choice between the Round Metal Stickers $5.00 USD or the Square Metal Stickers $6.00 USD.

What did I choose to use my Z Palette for?
-I suggest to any makeup artist that carries around more than 20 lipsticks at a time to consider a Z Palette. 20 lipsticks can take up quite a bit of space. Usually they could take up a whole entire thin drawer in my Japonesque Pro Studio Case. (Link to Review.) Now I have 16 lipsticks in a very compact/sleek case and I couldn't be happier! I'm officially clutter free.

DIY Lipstick Palette
Supplies Needed:
1) Candle
2) Lipstick of your choice
3) A metal spoon
4) A knife
5) Empty metal pan

Step 1: You will want to twist your lipstick all the way up and cut it towards the base of the tube. Once you have done that, from the piece you have cut off, cut a very small slice of the lipstick. (as if you were slicing a cucumber.) Place the slice onto your metal spoon. (Mine got somewhat messy; probably because I'm a clumsy mess and I can't cut a cucumber let alone a lipstick! Hah, just kidding!

Step 2: Once you have placed your lipstick chunk on your metal spoon slowly & carefully hold the spoon over the flame of the candle and wait patiently for the lipstick to melt! Whatever you do, don't put your lipstick right into the flame or you will burn it! Trust me, it is not a cute look or smell! Wait patiently my dears!

Step 3: Once the lipstick is completely melted, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT touch the spoon where the lipstick is! Unless you really want to scream like a curious child's first touch of a bright orange stove top, I suggest you avoid the pain! OUCH! Pour your melted lipstick slowly into your empty pan. If you find that the lipstick hasn't fully filled your pan, go back in with you knife and cut off as much as you think you'll need. Repeat the process. Now for me, I like things to look perfectly neat and clean so after I was done, I put the now-filled pan of lipstick onto the spoon and I held it over the flame to remelt the lipstick whilst in the pan. This helped the lipstick settle flat in the pan, giving it a very clean/even distribution! It should look something like this when done!

Make sure you let your lipsticks cool down before you go on and touch them! They are HOT HOT HOT! Once you have completed one, the rest will be a piece of cake! Hmm, I could really go for a piece of cake right now! Click here to go to the Z Palette website and go make me a cake while you are at it! Hah!

Tip:* 
Once your actual lipstick is now into two pieces, it's as simple as holding both cut ends towards the candle flame and then sticking them two together while they are HOT! Be the best doctor you can be & mend it back together again! xo.

Well that is all my dears! Hope you all have a fabulous night! 
Love you all,

3 comments:

  1. Love this tutorial Stephanie! Question though: are you going to make a label system or something so you can remember which lipstick is which in the z palette? I've always been curious about that.

    Great post!

    ~Claire (clairebearhair24 on IG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Claire! Yes I actually have a label maker that is black & has white font! I put it on the back of the palette once I was done! xo!

      Delete
  2. Your blog is amazing :) Love the design Felicity did for you, she did mine too!

    www.pin-up-beauty.blogspot.co.uk

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...